Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

Does anyone know the answer to the above question?

I've googled and can't seem to come up w/an answer... It looks like the D series was 1st, then DG and then DC - but I can't say for sure... Looks like the D series is cheapest, DG mid - DC - higher end?

I'm considering an "all around" lens for my D50 and want something like a 18 - 200 or 28 - 200 or 28 - 300 but I'm perplexed on the different series of D. DC and DG and what each means...

I do not have the cash for the nikon 18-200 VR so I am looking for something I can strap on my camera and go all day without changing lenses. Plan on using in plenty of daylight/well lit situations.

I also tried searching for an answer on the forums but had no luck. Any replies would be welcomed!

joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:15 AM   #2

Actually, I believe it's the following:

D-simply denoting that it's a D-type lens (I don't think that this designation is used any more, so it might actually tell you that it's an older lens)

DC-denotes that it is a lens for DSLR only (reduced image circle)

DG-denotes special coating supposedly better for DSLR (especially for CA), but can still be used for film SLR--there are often older, optically practically identical non-DG versions around as well

The designation for a high-end lens in the Sigma line is actually EX. Another useful acronym is HSM, which is Sigma's equivalent to Nikon's AF-S.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:40 PM   #3

Try this link. http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/index.htm
doitnthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote