Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:50 AM   #1

I was not sure what I was thinking, but my impatience of getting a prime lens (and to get a cheap one has led me to winning an auction on Ebay

Nikon 24mm 2.8 - Total Auction plus postage GBP£77 (around USD$140)

What I thought would be a good deal turned out to be a battered lens with a major scratch on the rear element (glass) (the seller said it was only a 'small scratch'), imperfections on the centre of the rear element and foreign objects within the lens...

I may now have to re-sell it on ebay as a paperweight. I will now only buy new lenses. . . . .

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much it would cost to get it repaired by Nikon to replace an element and clean a lens?
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:58 PM   #2

Probably more time and money than it would be worth, compared to the cost of just buying a new one. Last time I sent a lens in for a cleaning, and that's with nothing wrong with it in terms of scratches, it was around $100 with shipping both ways. Add to that the cost of the new rearelement and labor to seat and allign everything....you probably don't want to know, and it would probably have to go back to Japan= long wait.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:24 AM   #3

you could try to work with ebay and the user to refund your money do to a false description.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4

Paypal also has the ability to contest a transaction based on an item not being as described.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote