Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:00 AM   #1

Hi All,

I have just brought a Nikon D50 and are now looking to buy a few new lenses, a telephoto lense and a macro lense.

I have seen the following (not sure which macro lense to get):

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO (about £159) and AF-G 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IF ED Black (about £ 259)

Has anyone had any experience of these lenses or recommend any better lenses ?

Thanks in advance !

Karldwmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:55 AM   #2

The 70-300 is fantastic for the money. Really sharp wide open from 70 to about 250. Tails off noticeably towards 300. Build is ok, but it could do with a zoom lock. Front element rotates and the whole lens telescopes a huge amount, especially in macro mode, so I guess it will fill up with dust eventually. Autofocus is slow and noisy.
A really good starter lens considering the price. The closer focussing macro mode is a bonus. Really good optics + mediocre package + great price = excellent value!
Sigma have a 50-150f2.8 coming out very soon which will be an EX series lens and should not have any of the faults of this one. It will also cost a fair bit more.
There isn't a lot else out there in this range. You seem to go from cheap, slow 70-300s to pro gear in one step. The APO is definitely the pick of the cheap, slow 70-300s.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote