Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:51 PM   #1

My friend just bought a Coolpix P4 and I'd like to connect it to my Sony Vaio to transfer and print pictures for her. The computer is running XP SP2 home edition.

I installed the PictureProject software (as well as the other recommended software) and rebooted.

I followed the instructions about connecting the USB before powering it on, etc, yet nothing new shows under "my computer" and Picture Project doesn't start automatically.

If I manually run PictureProject, it says "nothing connected".

I have several Sony digital cameras that plug right in and the h/w is immediately found despite no software needing to be installed.

Any ideas what else I can try? I'd connect it to my old mac or her iBook, but the printer connected to the Vaio is much newer and prints better photo quality.

I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
bornitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:27 PM   #2

Hi. I just bought a P4 as the mini mate to the rather large Coolpix 8800 I already own. I have noticed, twice, thatI hadn't pushed the USB connector into the camera completely with the result that nothing happened. This plug is a nasty little thing and has bugged me for 2 years with the 8800. I run Windows XP in two computers and both recognized the camera without any software added. I leave the camera on the Auto setting whenI transferpicturesand things seem to evolve normally.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the picture quality, although I did set the contrast and saturation to the max as that is how I like my shots. The lack of a viewfinder is a problem. I just can't see much in the LCD screen in daylight. Guess it's just a rough aimer ?

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:44 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply. I found a workaround using a USB card reader, so I can at least transfer the photos. I will check to see if the cable is seated correctly next time.

Thanks again for your help.
bornitz is offline   Reply With Quote