Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:30 PM   #1
Default Macro focus with 5700

I'm close to upgrading from a 995 to a 5700.
I especially enjoy macro photography, but I often had difficulty focusing my 995, even when using the Nikon macro ring light that screws into the lens. Many times, I could hear the zoom buzzing while the image moved in and out and in and out of focus until the lens finally locked - out of focus. This is not a depth of field issue; the entire frame was blurry. It was not a low light situation.
I've read many comments from people who like everything about the 5700 except that it lacks a good manual focus capability. This has been discussed in terms of low light (with a laser pointer being a remedy). What about macro shots? Does anyone have good or bad experiences with macro focusing?
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:51 PM   #2

Here are 3 macro shot examples I have taken with the 5700;

http://www.pixett.ca/pix/ fly, frog and hotwheels.jpg are the macros.

All are auto except the hotwheels.jpg
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:08 PM   #3

I use the 5700 for a lot of macro work.in full auto and have very good luck with it. I have a macro pix in the photo section on this site,under close ups/5700 macro. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:35 PM   #4

The Nikon 5700 (or Nikon 950 and 995) will have only macro capability up to the middle focus length of the camera if the macro button is pressed. This is a big heache for many users, because this middle focus length is not easy to calculate. One solution is that do not go over the middle point of the zoom indication bar in the monitor. But often I went over the middle point to go over the longer zoom lens. You can calculate the middle point: Use a small button from the two inches from the front of your lens. Photograph one photo each time you press zoom button. You can press about ten or 15 times to reach to the maximum macro zoom limit depending on your finger's sensitivity. In my Nikon 5700 my middle point for macro zoom is not a half point but is less than a half point in the bar chart in the monitor. If the subject is not flat, and if the distance is only less than two or three inches, the macro mode will not produce a sharp picture, because of the shallow depth of field.
kumkoo95chulla is offline   Reply With Quote