Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:08 AM   #1

I hope someone can help me with the ongoing problems I am having with my Nikon Coolpix 995.

The main problem is that the camera is continually shutting off and turning back on during use. This is most frequent when the camera is in playback mode. It flickers on and off, making it impossible to operate within the menus to delete images since you are dumped out of any menus when it turns off.

The other problem is that the camera flickers between working fine and the error message 'No Card Present'. I've seen in some of your other threads that users have had diffiulties with the no card present error message, but as mine is intermittent, I fear it maybe the same type of problem.

Please any advice would be hugely appreciated!!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2

Sounds like the well known battery door problem. The Coolpix 950, 990 and 995 as well as others suffer from a rather poor battery door design - small plastic pins in the hinge and the latch lever. If you search on eBay there used to be several vendors selling replacement battery doors for the DIY users. This is the #1 cause of the camera turning itself off when you know the battery is good. It could also be dirty battery contacts which are easily cleaned.

The "no card present" error is probably dirty or bent pins in the CF card slot.

The cost of repairs will exceed the replacement cost at today's prices and the newer cameras are much faster with higher resolution sensors. I like the old swiveling Coolpix cameras and still have quite a collection of them but they're not worth having service done by Nikon, it's just too expensive.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote