Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:25 PM   #1

Hi, just purchased a 5700. I understand that it accepts compact flash or a microdrive. Which type compact flash 1 or 2? What is the max speed card and size can i use?

any suggestions will be appreciated.
cnjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:10 PM   #2

My owners manual says: Type 1 and 2 CompactFlash and Microdrive cards (512MB, 1GB)

So, does this mean the camera's upper limit is 1GB? Might there be a firmware update that will permit greater than 1GB support? Dunno, bro'.

My biggest card is a 512MB Sandisk Ultra II. I never could find specific info' on the "fastest " card that it could use. I even tried to find out from Nikon tech support what the maximum write-speed of the camera was, figuring that it would be a waste of money to buy a card with a greater write-to speed than this, but they wouldn't/couldn't answer such a simple inquiry. The only conclusive info' that I found was that the camera could not take advantage of cards that offered "write acceleration".

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:26 AM   #3

The 5700 can only format CF and microdrive cards using the FAT format which limits you to a maximum of 2gb. More modern cameras will use FAT32 format so can use cards larger than 2gb.

FAT (File Allocation Table) and FAT32 were originally developed for hard drives on personal computers.

A 512mb CF card shows 209 photos possible on my 5700 while a 2gb card shows 833!

Larger cards could be used but only 2gb will be usable.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote