Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:54 PM   #1

Hello all, I am very new to photography, so please bare with me.

I just purchased a used Nikon 8700 and a Nikon SB80dx flash...I am trying to learn how to use these together using the manuals and it is all greek to me!

I would like to have have the camera set a a point and shoot...with the speed flash rather than the internal flash...but when I do this, the images come out a bit dark...do I just go in to the menu option for speed light compensation and bump up or down the value accordingly?

bwillyb2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:25 PM   #2

You could do that if your shots are consistently underexposed by a similar degree.
Also check to make sure that you are operating within the stated automatic range of the flash.

Other things that could make your shots come out underexposed include (but are not limited to) shooting into a bright background or a highly reflective background. That can fool the sensor into thinking that it doesn't need to throw out as much light as you might need to properly expose the subject.

Now, this is just general information. There may be a few other things that you could check that are more camera-specific that someone owning an 8700 could better address.

I have a cp 5700, and it has flash modes that will fire only the built-in flash, only the external flash, or both. Make sure you are in a mode that actually fires the external flash. You probably don't have to worry about the shutter speed range since the camera should make sure it's in the right range when it opts to use the flash.

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote