Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 13, 2003, 2:45 PM   #1
Default Nikon 3100 or ?

I was 99% sure I was going to get the Olympus C-4000, but as a beginning digital photographer, I thought maybe it was too complicated. I liked the Olympus better than the Nikon 4300. Then the 3100 caught my eye. It's one megapixel less than the others, but it's also a $100 cheaper. The main reason I like it, is it seems to be more simple to use. Opinions?

I want to be able to take good Macro photos, as well as regular pics, landscapes, sports, etc...

Also, does the 3100 have 3:2 so I can print out broderless 4 x 6 photos?
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2003, 6:51 PM   #2

Gardengirl, I've had the 3100 since May. I like it very much. It takes great macro photos and is very simple to use. I still haven't used all its features, but the camera itself is very simple to use.

I don't know what 3:2 is, but I get my prints done at Costco, I don't print them at home. They come out great.

If you decide to buy it, make sure you update the firmware. There is a technical issue in which the camera thinks your rechargeable batteries are low on charge, even if you just charged them. The firmware fixes the issue.

I bought it at Dell.com through a Techbargains.com referral. I paid $262 including shipping. It was a fantastic deal.

Good luck!

Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:44 PM   #3

Gardengirl, The 3100 is very easy to use. Yes you can print borderless prints,but that is set by your printer not the camera. I have over 1500 pix from this camera and so far no problem. The batter problem was fixed with a firmwarte update for those units made before may 31 2003. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:14 PM   #4

Oh, also. Shoot with the LCD. I know it uses more battery power, but the good thing is that when you shoot with the LCD the camera is always focusing, while when you turn it off, it takes longer to focus and save the image. Besides, that's what they make rechargeable batteries for. Try the Maha Powerex batteries. They're great.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote