Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:40 PM   #1

This camera seems to take pretty decent pictures when there's enough light, but i'm having a hard time with low light situations.

I've tried the appropriate presets, but the images always seem to turn out grainy, or the flash washes everything out. I've tried messing with the settings manually, and can get some new looking pictures, but only if the subects are completely stationary and I use a tripod, otherwise the shutter speed is just too slow to give any definition.
Is there any way to turn off the auto-adjust feature where it trys to compensate for low light when auto-focusing?

Any tips? Thanks in advance,

fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:31 PM   #2

fiveightandten wrote:
Is there any way to turn off the auto-adjust feature where it trys to compensate for low light when auto-focusing?
Nick, since nobody else has responded, I thought I'd jump in here. I saw your post earlier and I'm still at a loss to figure out what you're referring to.

What do you mean by that question? I don't understand what feature you're referring to that would be called an "auto-adjust" feature related to Autofocus.

What camera behavior are you talking about that's different in low light with Autofocus?

As for your other issues, most non-DSLR models are not really suitable for taking indoor photos without a flash of non-stationary subjects for a couple of reasons...their lenses are not bright enough, and their sensitivity to light (ability to use higher ISO speeds) is not good enough for the desired results without unacceptable noise (that grainy look you get) and/or loss of detail from noise reduction, and/or motion blur (because slower shutter speeds are needed for proper exposure in low light at lower ISO speeds with a dimmer lens).

If you set your ISO speeds higher, that can help get faster shutter speeds (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same aperture and lighting). Then, use noise reduction tools like these to help out if the photos are too grainy:

Not zooming in any more than necessary can also help out (since blur from camera shake is magnified as more optical zoom is used, and blur from subject movement is more obvious at a given viewing size if the subject is occupying a greater percentage of the frame). Most lenses lose a lot of light as more optical zoom is used, too (and I haven't been able to find any good specs on your lens that show anything other than f/3.5, and I don't know if it's able to sustain that aperture throughout the zoom range or not).

But, being limited to a widest available aperture of f/3.5 (or even dimmer if it loses light when zoomed in more) and ISO 800 may not be enough to let you get by in less than optimum lighting trying to shoot moving subjects without a flash, even if you use a tripod. In some interiors, even ISO 3200 using a DSLR with a bright prime may not be enough for the desired results if your subjects are not relatively still. That's why you have a flash. ;-) Any camera will have limitations.

It depends a lot on how bright it is, and how fast or slow your subjects are moving. But, your best bet indoors with most non-DSLR models is to use a flash if your subject is not stationary.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:22 AM   #3

Good insight from Jim.

If compacts could do everything we needed them to, they're would be little/no need for expensive/challanging slr's, medium format or large format cameras.

Low-light w/o flash is one of those special shooting situations that calls for a quality slr w/a fast lens & high iso.

sorry . . .

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:24 AM   #4

there is no way to turn off the automation on the S10, and the flash performance of this model is one of the criticisms I've read about it.
A great feature of most Nikon Coolpix models is Best Shot Selector and be sure and turn that on.

JDar is offline   Reply With Quote