Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:48 AM   #1

I have zeroed in on these two cameras as having the handling feel I like, but both seem to have some issues with focus. The P5100 is apparently sluggish as the P5000 was, and the P50 appears to be a poor focusing performer in low light.

Anyone with one of these cameras care to comment on your experiences?

Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:42 PM   #2

I am sure there nust be a few reviews out on the 5100. And IMO all cheapesh Nikons would be poor performers in low light.
rougevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:05 AM   #3

hi Deane
i have the coolpix p5000, i have used the camera for about 5 months now.

at first i found the focus of the camera a bit slow but afer customising the settings im now happy with its peformance .

it depends on what you want the p5100 for . for me the strong points of the camera are -good size /compact/ feels good in my hand.
-image quality, i think the nikon does nice blues , natural skin tones and sunsets .
-the lcd screen is quite good also

a wider lense would be good though .

if you would like to see some nice shots taken with the p5000 click on my profile and go to my flickr site

ozematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:51 AM   #4

I have used the P50 for a few weeks and found it is lacking in close focus ability. If you want to take a close up shot your pretty much out of luck. Any one know about a attachment for close up shots???

I like the sceene shooting feature. Makes taking shots of quick moving fish (reason for the close up need). much easier. I like that function. Over all quality is not as good as a Cannon, nor is teh versitility. It needs a few more features. Wide angle photo ability is nice.

All the above from a real neophyte, so take it as IMHO. not as gospel.
thom144e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:32 AM   #5

In macro mode try and focus about 20cm+ then use the zoom button and wait till the light turns green.
rougevet is offline   Reply With Quote