Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 11, 2003, 7:19 PM   #1
Default How do I put a filter on the Coolpix 5700?

I'm getting a Coolpix 5700 and I want to get some kind of lens armor/filter setup. The guy at Ritz Camera says if I use the Nikon UR-E8 lens adapter it is not long enough and the lens will crash into the filter.
He said there is another kind of adapter I can get on the Internet that will work but didn't know the name. Does anyone know what it is?

With my Olympus C-3000 I use a lens adapter and filter ring (with no glass) attached to the filter to solve the same problem of lens crash. Would that work on the 5700?
Thanks a lot!
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2003, 8:44 PM   #2

The ur-e8 is to short, look at the lense shade adaptor hr-e5700,
it should provide filter thread of some sort, (the lense shade for the 5400 gives you a rather big 77mm thread)

Or one of the nextphoto adapters http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 3:26 PM   #3

I have been using a "nextphoto" 52mm cp5700 adapter for about one year with no problem. The have an o-ring that snaps into the groove in the camera lense housing and allow you to attach filters, lens hoods, etc with threaded attachment. They sell different thread versions. I selected 52mm because I already had filters of that size.

twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:48 PM   #4

Nikon now has a 67mm solution.

Refer to this thread for a description and link to photos of a CP5700 with the filter set installed.
One major drawback to a 77mm thread size is the cost of filters, 77mm filters are dramatically more expensive than comparable 67mm filters.

Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 7:59 AM   #5
Default Filter adapter for CP5700

I bought this one:

It presses onto the lens itself, so it moves WITH the lens and stays in place. $25 seems like a lot for a little piece of black aluminum, but it works. Comes in 49,52, and 58mm sizes.

If you haven't already bought the camera, I suggest waiting until next month when the replacement for the 5700 is announced. The low light focus problem on the 5700 will drive you to drink, and Nikon has refused to fix it even in the face of thousands of complaints and even petitions!

If you've already bought it, just plan to have an assistant with a flashlight to help with your indoor nighttime flash pictures!
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote