Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 15, 2003, 9:14 PM   #1
Default NIkon 5700 Setting Question

I am a new user to digital cameras.

Just got my new Nikon Coolpix 5700. Bought it because a friend has it and I was impressed with the quality of pictures.

Charged battery, inserted and started using it. Noticed a whirring sound whenever I moved the camera a bit. I gussed it was the AF. But, is it normal for the camera to whir everytime I moved it ?.

The nose is gone when in ISO or macro mode. It is only on the 'no icon' mode. Then I changed the Focus Options to Auto-Focus Mode-Single AF and the sound was gone.

Was the noise becasue of the continuous AF setting ?. Or do I have a defective camera ?.

Please advice.

vanrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:42 AM   #2

Yup - You got it right. that soft little noise is the continous Auto focus hunting for something to lock onto.
I am also a new owner ( 4 days) and that is one of the first things I noticed. It is normal !!

I am still beating all the cool features into my head Too!

The complete and perfect Camera is yet to be invented, they all have something that they do not do (or DO do) that ticks you off.

Hamg in there !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:25 AM   #3

You can turn off the auto focus in the user settings. You must be in user 1,2, or 3, Not "auto" to use this feature. Focus can be set to "single" time focus, the camera will not hunt for focus until you press the shutter release half way down.
Also tends to save battery power when camera is not constantly motoring the focus in and out.
zooky4u is offline   Reply With Quote