Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 28, 2002, 6:51 PM   #1
Default Blurry macro photos on 995

Every time I take a close up, in manual focus macro mode, the picture looks great until I finish squeezing the shutter button, then they are blurry.
I have read the book over and over and can't figure out what I am doing wrong.
I have the yellow flower (for macro mode) and while holding the m-focus button I rotate the thumb wheel until the picture is sharp. From there, I have tried two ways. First, just let go of the m-focus button, the distance is displayed and frozen, then I gently squeeze the shutter release. The picture is blurry.
The second way I tried is by holding the m-focus and rotating the thumb wheel, as before, but before releasing the m-focus, I lightly depress the shutter release. Then I release the m-focus, finish squeezing the shutter release, and ta da, the picture is blurry
I bought this camera based on this web sites recommendation for great macro photos, but I can't get any.
Please advise.
nobody7291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2002, 11:08 AM   #2
Default Blurry pictures

Dude, I went through the same thing - you have a great camera - you just need a couple of pointers.

First, in "macro mode" there is a "sweet" spot in between full zoom and no zoom - the flower turns from white to yellow - this is the first step.

The second step is to use manual mode and set your aperature small (large f-number). This will make your shutter speed longer (bad news) but give you a greater depth of field (great news) which is important since macro shots have relatively small depth of field - important for flowers - not so for flat coin shots.

The third step is make sure you are using a tripod - since you are so close, the least amount of movement can cause you blurry pictures.

The fourth step is not to waste too much time taking pictures if the subject is moving (or adjust step two above for a faster shutter speed - with less depth of field).

The fifth and final step is to make sure that you use the timer function (press the shutter button twice to decrease the wait time) and then you will not introduce shake when you press the button. Seems odd if you are new to photography that simply taking the picture causes camera shake.

Hope this helps - I have the 990 but have used the 995 - they really are GREAT for macro shots - but it took me a while to figure out all the tricks.

optionally - a shutter release can help if you are going to be doing a lot of this sort of thing.

larsonhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 1:36 PM   #3

Why don't you forget the manual focus and let the camera do it for you? You should be able to get great images with this camera. I'm not a big fan of trying to manual focus the 990 or 995 - better to set the aperture small and be sure you have sufficient light to work with and let the autofocus at half press do the work for you. Also try focus confirmation to see more of less what the camera "thinks" is the point of focus - sometimes you will be surprised!

Best regards,

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 8:26 PM   #4

Yes - actually when I said manual, I did not mean manual focus (I agree with Lin that is a lot of work), but to set Aperature priority or Shutter Priority I think/thought you needed to be in Manual settin vs Automatic. I could be wrong. Hope the other tips helped!
larsonhokie is offline   Reply With Quote