Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:24 AM   #1

I am kinda new to slr photography. I have read some materials regarding terms etc on this, but I have questions that I hope you guys can help me clear up.

I am just wondering, what kind of lens is best suited for family portrait photography and what's best for scenic photography of course that doesn't necessarily goes to the best of each as it can be extremely expensive.

I have seen lens like 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8, how much difference does it make? the cost for the two seems to be quite significantly different.

Is it necessary to go for 400mm for scenic photography? I have seen some with f/2.8 and some f/4.5 with significant difference in price, and I would like to know how different does it make?

I like to take night scenery too, and what kind of gear do you guys advice?

right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:04 PM   #2

For agreat portrait lens for a great price I suggest the 50mm f/1.8D.

Whatever lens you get you should get it soon -- prices are about to go up:

wespj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:51 AM   #3

right wrote:
I am just wondering, what kind of lens is best suited for family portrait photography
It depends entirely on the type of portrait you are trying to capture. When you say "family" I assume you mean multiple people and not a single person. In that case, wide apertures aren't what you want. You'll be more concerned with wide angle. I'm assuming you're not shooting full frame (d700, d3) so you'd want something in the 17-24mm range to do group shots. But really, if portrait work is important to you, the lighting and background are probably more important starting out than the lens. Group shots are going to be shot from f8-f22 (depending on how many rows of people). So even a kit lens will give good results. But using off-camera flash or strobes will have a huge impact. Hopefully NHL will be lurking and can give you some ideas in the Nikon camp.

Individual portraits - again the lens depends on the TYPE of portrait and where you'll be shooting. A 50mm 1.8 is a very inexpensive lens to start shallow DOF photography. But if you want head shots a longer lens is more beneficial. But such a lens is not really any good for group work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote