Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:50 AM   #1
Default Need NIKON P90 advice for dummies...

I am not a photographer. I purchased the P90 because I was looking for a high end point and shoot to capture great pictures of my family with. I have briefly read the manual and experimented a little with my camera, but I am looking for good advice on what settings I should be using...
I would appreciate any help...in layman's terms!
ashleyfarrell1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:32 AM   #2

Check the P90 thread here. Its got TONS of good info and tips.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:36 PM   #3

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

I believe the most important issue is to NOT fall into trap of using the Automatic Mode all the time. Instead, use the "P" Mode. P stands for Programed Automatic. That means that the "P" mode works just like automatic, but now you are free to make changes whenever you desire.

For example there are 5 flash modes available. I the Automatic Mode you have only one selection available to you. In the "P" Mode therer a 5 different flash selections available to you that also includes red eye reduction, which might be very helpful with family photos at Christmas.

For example you have the whole ISO (film speed) spectrum available to you in the "P" mode. In the Automatic Mode you only have Auto ISO available to you. Sometimes its fun to take photos of Christmas lights, and be able to manually adjust and control your ISO setting makes taking photo of Christmas light easy.

The is a lot that can be easily learned from reading the User Manual that came with your P-90 camera, please don't ignore that resource. I am not just giving you a lot of hot air, I have been aprofessional Digital Camera Instructor for 15+ years. I terach for our state university as well as our local Community College.

Your local Community College is another resource for learning to effectively use your digital camera. Most Community Colleges offer digital camera courses.

Have a great day and Happy Holidays.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote