Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Default Nikon Coolpix 4300 vs. Canon Powershot A80 vs. Canon S45

We are trying to choose between these tree cameras. We've just bought the Nikon but do not like the colors in auto mode at all, even though all the reviews talk about excellent picture quality.
Does anyone have an experience with all three of these cameras or at least two?
alandvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:17 PM   #2
Default Mmmmmmm.....

I don't think there is a camera which always takes excellent pictures in any condition.

All they are nice toys but whatever brand you buy they have their strength and weakneses to eachother. :?

Most of the times you need to "play" with your photos. if you are new to it..... :roll:

Even if you buy a dSLR it's the same I think. 8)

You have to use the camera and get used to it......Than you can take nice photos every time.....

Whatever Brand you choose be happy and enjoy...

Good luck.....
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:05 AM   #3

I have not tried the Canon S45. I have the 4300 and a friend just got himself the A80. IMHO, in terms of operations, the A80 beats the 4300. It has faster start up, much less shutter lag when not using the LCD monitor and the A80 is the only 4Mp camera with a swivel LCD monitor.

As for picture quality, I cannot vouch for the A80 as I have not seen it yet. But for the 4300, it is very good. Taking pictures with the Auto mode will always be a hit or miss. My suggestion is to use the Manual mode with Programmed Exposure. Just set the ISO to 100 and the flash to whatever you want i.e. auto flash, no flash or red-eye. Usually the pictures don't come out good because the camera sets a too high ISO and the pics turn out grainy with a lot of noise.

Also important with the 4300 (or any other camera) is to learn how to properly hold it when taking pictures to reduce camera shake. This is prevalent with all compact cameras as they are very light. This is also another good point with the A80 because it uses 4 AA batteries, the camera will be heavier and more stable. Get the 2100mah NiMH AA batteries and they will last longer than the Nikon's 680mah Lithium-Ion battery.

Hope that helps.

Merry Christmas!
harman_faiz is offline   Reply With Quote