Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Default Nikon P500 or Pana FZ100

Hey guys,
I really hope someone could help me with this one ;-)
Im looking for quite a while now for a camera and got stuck with the p500 and the fz100. Now i really dont know which one to choose...
the aperture advantage and the longer exposer from the fz100 or the better some and wide angle from the p500.

In the end i just want to have the camera which makes the better pictures, (Mainly outside in good weather conditions)
I like taking nature pictures and maybe also sometimes some fun stuff, vibrant colors or different modes. I basically need an all in one camera which can be used by a newbie.

Myself I am a beginner and dont really know that much about photography yet. Most things i have learned online as it will be my first bridge camera.
What would you guys think would be the better choice for me?

I really need your help.
thanks a lot.
thierry880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:58 PM   #2

I guess it really depends on how much zoom you really need. For me anything from 14X to 20X is about right. Therefore, after looking closely at the Panasonic FZ100 and the P500, which have had only so-so user reviews, I decided that I would look at the other options.

The best website I have found on the p500 is Richard Tucker's:

Currently I am focused on the Canon SX230HS, and awaiting a combined review due out this coming week around 04/06 or o4/07 that will compare the SX230, the Sony HX9, and the Panasonic TZ20.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 2, 2011 at 6:18 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:29 AM   #3

I'm considering this camera along with the Canon SX 30 IS. I prefer the wider angle of the Nikon over the Canon. The down side to the Canon review is the C/A which pretty much shows up in all the review photos here at Steve Digicams.

I currently own a Nikon D300 with several lenses but want something to use as a walkabout lens on family days out which takes good photos with a big versatility.

I did buy the Panasonic FZ100 but really didn't like it. The image quality wasn't great imho so I pretty much sold it straight away so I can purchase a new walkabout point and shoot.

I may hang on a little until some more reviews come out about the P500 but the 22mm wide angle lens does open up lots of options for me
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Default 2 cents

This is just my opinion. I did alot of looking online for info on these cameras and I ended up buying a Panasonic FZ40, 24x because at the far end of the zoom, the Panasonic produced sharper, clearer pictures.
Good luck,
rmmcrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:41 PM   #5

I dont have any expectation on the image quality at the far ends of any cameras having longer than 10x zoom
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:37 PM   #6

Hopefully anyone's expectation also includes a sturdy tripod, when shooting at the far end of a 30X+ super zoom camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:04 PM   #7

I bought the Nikon p500 because I like to take photos at the Baseball games and since I haven't got tickets til July I took some photos at a neighborhood soccer game. Here are a couple of the photos I took this morning. Hope they help your decision.

Photogirl516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:41 AM   #8

I have the FZ 100 and the Nikon D300 and a Leica M8 and others. I love the FZ100. The problem may be that Panasonic has bad quality control. My first FZ100 was not as sharp as I wanted so I just exchanged it and got a good one. I once exchanged a Panasonic 3 times. That Leica lens is wonderful if it is adjusted right by Panasonic.
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote