Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 7, 2004, 4:22 PM   #1
Default Printing & Aspect Ratio

Sometime back I took a skyline picture of a Atlanta. The photo turned out to be quite nice, so I thought I would blow it up. I shot it with my Coolpix 5700 at the highest settings .

However, when I got it printed at 16X20, the photo had white bars on top and bottom. When I ordered the print, I opted not to trim & zoom it. I am told the picture needs to be at a particular aspect ratio.

Did I miss any setting when I shot the photo ?. How do I set the aspect ratio.

vanrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 4:36 PM   #2

I believe that most photo labs are set 3:2 aspect ratio for printing. There is a 3:2 aspect ratio setting with the 5700, but the standard ratio is 4:3. You chose full resolution setting of 2560X1920. You could have chose 3:2 resolution which would have produced a 2560X1704 image. This would cause a blank area at the bottom and top of the picture if it were printed at an apsect ratio of 3:2.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:17 PM   #3

16x20 is 5:4 format. The default mode on the 5700 is 4:3 so you would have to crop the image in your photo editor to see what you want. The photofinsiher has the choice of printing without clipping and leaving bars or eliminating the bars and clipping the ends. Think letterboxing on a DVD movie.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote