Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:58 PM   #1
Default Battery question Nikon Coolpix 3100

I moved to the Coolpix 3100 from an Canon Elph to get away from the proprietary battery--the CR-V3 lithium is a good backup battery when hiking....my questions are these:
can you use a typical AA Duracell if you had to?
can you not use rechargeable AA Lithium batteries in the Coolpix 3100???
Currently I am using rechargeable NiMH with no complaints but often we are in the cold (hiking the Appalachian Trail year around) and lithium rules when the mercury drops.
Medicine Man
MedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2004, 3:24 PM   #2

As with all digicams that use AA batteries - you can use alkalines but don't expect much from them unless you leave the LCD off at all times.

There are no rechargeable AA lithium batteries - these are one-use type of batteries only. Great shelf life, long life in use and much better for low temps than NiMH type.

CR-V3 is the best bang for the buck in one-use lithium over the AA type. And now we also have rechargeable CR-V3 batteries. Here's my mini-review of the first ones available:

And the CR-V3 rechargeables are even cheaper now that there's some competition in the market.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Default Thanks for the reply and the links!

I dont plan on using the 'coppertops' but was curious if abs. nothing else was available.
Concerning the rechargeable CR-V3's, glad to know there is competition since 2 batteries and a charger are the price of a cheap digital camera!
Medicine Man
MedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote