Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:58 AM   #1
Default nikon 5700 adaptor debate

My ongoing debate with myself.

I am trying to sort out the positives and negative of two different adaptor tube setup options for my Nikon 5700 CoolPix.

option #1
Nikon's UR-E8 + 72 mm filter adaptor (Bernie's ---www.nextphoto.net; or other third party) may cause some shadowing at the widest angle setting using the internal flash (some say you must use an external flash to eliminate this problem while others say it really is not a problem).

option #2
Bernie's 5700 adaptor (www.nextphoto.net) + 62 mm filters may cause occasional lens errors at the telephoto setting if the adaptor is not pulled all the way out when extending the lens but there are no substantial vignetting or flash issues (using thin filters will help here too).

So what is the best of the two problems above: occasional lens error with no real flash or vignetting issues OR some potential shadowing requiring the need to attach an external flash when a flash is required?

If anyone out there has experience with either setup or a reasonable opinion regarding which option, in your humblest opinion, is most ideal, I would love to hear from you.

atserafini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:23 AM   #2

I tried to respond to your email but it was returned as no address. I love Bernie's adapter for the following reasons:

1. I keep a UV filter attached at all times. I extend the zoom and forget to extend the adapter but the camera can handle the slight pressure of the camera against Bernie's adapter. I hope that makes sense.

2. I have not noticed any shadows in my pics at wide angles with adapter retracted.

3. I bought a step down ring for my 55mm filters and Tcon17 setup. I hate to spend money on additional filters when the 55mm filters work well with adapter and the camera.

4. I vote for Bernie's adapter.

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote