Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:51 PM   #1

Default Looking for an Adapter

Hello everyone:

My father has an old Canon A1 SLR Film Camera that he invested a lot of money into getting several lenses for. Now he has a Nikon D50 DSLR and I was wondering if there is an Adapter out that would allow his Canon lenses to fit his Nikon D50.

I know sometimes, if there is such an adapter, the lenses will fit...but there are supposedly things you can't do (like if the lens has a readout through the viewfinder, etc... that won't work), but as long as the lenses will fit and you can take pictures with them (zoom lens, wide angle, fish eye, etc...) I would be thrilled to be able to get it for him.

Please let me know if you know of anywhere that such an adapter would be available for purchase. I'm not sure if you have to "know a guy" to get one of these, but if it can be bought I would like to know how and where to get one.

Thank you.
suplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:14 PM   #2

Because of the flange to sensor spacing differences Nikon lenses can go on a Canon with an adapter but not the reverse. Even if they could you probably wouldn't have autofocus or aperture control. The rear lens element may not be coated. Not a problem for film but can cause reflections with the sensor. In addition unless the lenses were of the best quality for the time they may give poor results with modern digital cameras.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nichol View Post
Because of the flange to sensor spacing differences Nikon lenses can go on a Canon with an adapter but not the reverse. Even if they could you probably wouldn't have autofocus or aperture control. The rear lens element may not be coated. Not a problem for film but can cause reflections with the sensor. In addition unless the lenses were of the best quality for the time they may give poor results with modern digital cameras.
Thank you Bob. Canon has such a reputation for that. Pretty much any other manufacturer's lens will fit on any other manufacturer's body, but with Canon you can't even get a lens from the 90's to fit a Canon body from the 80's, etc...

I had a feeling it wasn't possible, thanks for explaining why.
suplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:15 PM   #4

That is also why when I went digital from my Canon AE1 and T70, Canon orphaned me with the FD 28, 50 and 135 lens. I had to start over so I went Nikon. While Canon made several FD-ES adapters, any of the lens below 200mm wouldn't focus to infinity and effectively useless even on a Canon.

They do make a FD to Nikon adapter, however is has a cprrective lens in it to compensate for the flange issue. (google it) However, for $35 have to question the quality of that glass. Don't know if it resolved the infinity focus issue, but is manual operation only.

And then, a cheap macro possibility - haven't tried it but heard of it and considered. Find (DIY manufacture) a 55mm filter/nikon mount to reverse mount an FD lens. This would be for macro photography only, but unlike todays lens, you can stop the aperture down.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote