Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:55 PM   #1
Default Your advice/ help on Nikon 8700/5700 (minolta A1)Needed!

Have oppty in next 2 weeks to trade up to new CP8700 vs the 5700 I currently own. Concerns are: 1. Of course,I have not seen or used 8700 2. No reputable reviews available on web currently.
3. Basically happy with current 5700 but usual reservations, shutter lag, shooting in low light, manual focus, blurring on zoom, battery life. Picture quality however is excellent and I like the relatively compact size w this much zoom, overall quality, etc.
4. I've decided against the Sony828 due to its size and poor reviews but the Minolta A1 holds some interest for me especially w its Anti shake feature (altho rumours of A2 loom). as u can see, Zoom and quality are important to me coupled w fairly compact size. Ive also ruled out Canon Rebel in spite of Excellent reviews due to its size and changing lens necessity. My decision 4-6 months from now would be easier but need to decide/commit now. Your recos would be most appreciated. Thanks Jerry
jjolexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:12 AM   #2

Based on the initial press releases, I would not trade my 5700 for the 8700. I would wait for a release and a final review. The A1 is a very nice camea. The anti-shake and manual adjustment ring make if very appealing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:24 AM   #3

I opted for the A1 over the 5700 for the reasons cited by Mr. Gibson above - primarily the anti-shake - comes in handy for this much zoom. I was VERY close to buying the 5700 since my previous digicam was a Nikon and I had really good luck with it.
I'm not sure what benefit the 8700 has - would like to have seen it add an anti-shake - and I don't see why I personally would need anything larger than 5MP.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote