Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 24, 2002, 5:48 PM   #1
Default Canon S40 vs Coolpix 4500

I am struggling hard...

I have two cameras on the shortlist and they are the S40 and the Coolpix 4500.

Am a person who would like to have a neat camera with me on trip, out with family etc and have good quality pics for the future.

What should I choose?

pfrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:30 AM   #2

I have a 4500 and love it. My sister has a S40 and loves it.

Both Nikon and Canon optics are excellent and both cameras have their own pluses and minuses.

The Canon color and overall autofocus may be given an edge in some circles. The Canon has the edge on price and is very slick in size

The Nikon seems to have more options, slightly more optical zoon, the ability to buy Nikon lenses to attach for more versatility(and cost), the swivel design, great macro ability, more special pre-set modes.

Overall I don't think you could really go wrong with either one in a 4.0 megapixel camera between the $599-699 range.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 9:33 PM   #3

I am having the same problem. The one thing I seem to be hung up on now is that I have read that it can take 25 seconds to store the Hi-Resolution/Quality picture on the Coolpix 4500 (TIFF format, because RAW format not available as on the Canon S40).

The next step down seems to be equivalent to a 2 Mpel camera. What good is a 4 Mpel camera if I can't/don't use it at its maximum capability (at least occasionally) and a 25 second delay would certainly affect my use of the camera.

Does anybody use the max resolution mode. Is my undersanding about this correct.

Ron in Austin
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 11:37 PM   #4
Default Go Coolpix 4500

Thanks for your replies!

I just bought the camera I belive will be the one I will choose!
This is the first time I use a digital camera and I have already taken approx 400 pictures in 3 days. the battery is running flat all the time so I will for sure get another one if I should be able to get a decent time "on the field". Alot of the pictures is for getting to know the camera.

The 4500 is the camera I bougt! The swivel design is outstanding and the functionality is perfect for my needs. I can use it as a pocket camera as a more advanced camera. I have already taken some very good shots of both family, friends and some nature scenes that has been appreciated amongst family and friends.
If you go digital - go Nikon!
pfrenn is offline   Reply With Quote