Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 26, 2002, 10:33 PM   #1
Default Hi, Fine, Normal, Basic

Could someone explain (in some detail) what the meaning of the Hi, Fine, Normal, and Basic Quality settings.

In particular, what is the impact of not using the Hi Quality in the 2272x1704 resolution mode. Will I lose 50-60-70-80% of my 4 Mpel resolution by not using the Hi quality feature (because I read that it can take 25 seconds to store the picture at that resolution).

Does this have something to do with compression. What am I not understanding here.

Ron in Austin
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:04 PM   #2

HI means uncompressed TIFF format, but it also means that the camera is basically frozen for half a minute processing it.

Fine, Normal and Basic mode are all JPEG compressed modes. Fine uses 1:4, Normal uses 1:8 and Basic uses 1:16 compression ratio.

Most of us happily use Fine mode as it creates photo quality prints and doesn't consume so much space on the card or lock up the camera for half a minute. These digicams are optimized to create JPEG images and do it quite fast. Making an uncompressed TIF requires all of the camera's processing power and buffer.

HI mode will yield an image with ZERO compression artifacts but most people are hard-pressed to find any defects in a Fine mode JPEG image.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 12:32 PM   #3

Very well stated answer Steve!
geyer is offline   Reply With Quote