Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:31 PM   #1
Default how to make outside edited JPEGS recognized in 5700?

How can the 5700 be made to recognize edited jpegs that have been loaded to a memory card? My goal is to display the edited images on a TV screen as a slideshow through the camera and the supplied video out cables.
brookefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:53 AM   #2

When you edit the file you also change the EXIF data and the camera can no longer read the file.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:29 PM   #3

Thanks, Phil. The camera does balk at edited images, but there are work-arounds:

shareware: "TVWriter" software: ($20) http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyond...e/imaging.html
TVwriter doesn't work very well for me, as even in camera my 5700 doesn't display heavily edited images after conversion. It does work for the less edited images, albeit with the over-sized branding, removeable with the $20 registration.

burn a vcd: I finally go this to work for me on my computer DVD, though my tv dvd still will not play it (returns'disk error').

Apparently TV DVDs vary greatly in their ability to display JPEGs and VCDs. Some folks have success with methods which are fruitless for others. My tv dvd is a Toshiba SD-K600, and it won't display squat: no jpegs straight from the camera, no TVwriter converted files, no VCDs. Another user says " I have a Toshiba DVD player on which I can use my CDs with jpg photos stored on them."

- Brooke
brookefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 9:43 AM   #4

I've used both the demo version and the licensed version of TVWriter and they work very well for me. The software not only converts images taken with my 5700, but will also convert .jpg titles that I've made with MS Paint and .jpg graphics that I've downloaded.

The only hitch that I found was with the Nikon naming convention for images. My camera came with v1.0 firmware that uses a Dscn0000.jpg naming convention. The current version of the TVWriter licensed software uses a Dscn00000.jpg convention. In order to get the camera to recognize the converted image, I had to change the image ID to the Nikon convention. I understand that a new beta version of TVWriter addresses this problem.

This may be a problem only with early versions of the 5700 that run v1.0 firmware.
Pat5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:51 AM   #5

I love & recommend TV Writer (and introduced it to these forums). Try the freeware version (with an annoying watermark on) first, and then move on to the 20 ukpound shareware version if it works. It's excellent value.

It's a poor person's computer projector. It works on *any* jpeg, so you can inflict your sales pitch, life's work, political platform, or any screen you can save from your computer on anyone who's got a TV, which is justthe oddfew billion people, using just your digicam and its TV output lead in your pocket. Computer ownership is a lot smaller.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote