Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:03 PM   #1
Default Nightclub Photography w/ 5700

Hi - I currently own and maintain a Denver-based website that provides a documentary of the nightlife scene in Denver.

Recently purchased was a Nikon 5700, and I was curious if anyone had any input as to what kind of settings I should use to take photos in a nightclub setting.

Lights are always flashing, people are always moving, so I find it somewhat difficult to take good photos (this coming from a beginner). I want to capture pictures of people moving without getting trails, and also be able to take wide-angle crowd shots that look great.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
m311b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2004, 12:36 PM   #2

First off, unless the shots are within 12 feet, you will need a external flash. Keep the camera on quick mode, and keep the auto focus cont. on. High speed memory card 40 x, can help too.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 3:53 PM   #3

I take alot of club scenes; husband is a drummer. Here's what I do so far (still learning). Taking shots of the band on stage and hopefully there are some spotlights.
* Like blueberry said, make sure you aren't too far away if using the flash. I haven't yet bought an additional flash unit but I most likely will.
* Sometimes you can see if the shutter can speed up by not using red eye reduction. That slows the shutter. You may have to do some red-eye removal back at the computer. Often, the people are not looking at you anyway so the red eye reduction is not effective.
* for creative stuff, turn off flash, use P mode and let the camera decide on shutter speed. I got some fantastic shots this way of a subject IN the spotlight. The camera did the work. Some neat blur effects got captured as well as colors of reds/yellows.
* Turn the camera on full manual, set shutter speed to about 1/40, ap to 2.4 and see what happens. Fill flash.
* take lots of pictures!

I'll post more when I learn them
good luck!
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote