Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:40 PM   #1
Default Coolpix 8700 Blow-ups

The other day I wrote a post about taking a JPEG fine file (2.5MB) from an 8700 and having a friend's photo lab enlarge the shot to 20 x 30. At that time, I hadn't seen the results. Today he gave me the images.

These ran from 8 x 10, 11 x 14, to 16 x 20, and finally 20 x30. They all were excellent. As a matter of fact, I think that the 20 x 30 is superior to the 16 x 20s I printed from film via 4 x 5 interneg.

On the 20 x 30, there's no discernble noise, no CA or color fringing. The only caveat that I have is that these prints were printed (without any post processing other than set up for the printer) on a high resolution commercial printer at 300 lpm.

There's no doubt in my mind that this camera will do an excellent job for any "prosumer". All files were 2.5MB JPEG fine.
rabsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:53 PM   #2
Default Coolpix 8700 Blow Ups

The enlargements were done on a LightJet laser printer, which is most definitely a professional quality photographic printer. From what I understand, this printer has the capability of interpolating data, which must contribute to the quality of the final image.

As I said before, the 8700 will undoubtedly produce excellent 8 x 10s, and in the hands of a high quality lab, enlargements up to 20 x 30.

rabsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:05 PM   #3

That's great! I don't own the 8700 but the 5700 and people have said it can be produced to large prints as well. All in all it depends on what you are shooting, what mode, and what 'good' is to you.
cafr is offline   Reply With Quote