Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:38 AM   #1
Default Coolpix 3700, Coolpix 4300, or something else?

Well, I had an opportunity to purchase a Coolpix 990 from a friend, but declined after finding a considerable physical defect on the unit. I then had been initially considering a Coolpix 3200, but after reading on here that the body of the camera was plasticky, I'm a bit skepticle. I have a 2 year old daughter who is simply infatuated with electronics. (I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree. LOL)

Anyway, I do most of my gadget shopping on http://www.newegg.com and I noticed that they have both the Coolpix 3700 and 4300 models for the same exact price of $329 dollars. Other than the obvious difference in resolution, does one model offer more than the other? Is there any reason why the 3700 should be listed at the same price as the 4300?

Does anyone have another suggestion for a digital camera in the 3-4MP range and within the same $300-$350 price range?

I greatly appreciate the help from everyone and the incredibly detailed information on this site. Kudos to everyone!

Crazy8tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:35 AM   #2
Default nikons or else

Hi there,

I've been researching dig. cameras for about a month and if I don't buy one soon the wife will kick me out.

In short, the Nikon 4300 is an older camera, old look (like the 3200, 3100 etc) but easy to hold, still plasticky, good 4mp etc. (came out in 2002). Nikon 3700 is a newer aluminium body camera, small and lightweight, 3mp but excellent resolution esp. the LCD, best movie mode around (came out late 2003). Depends what you want......

There are soooooooooo many good cameras out there I'm thinking you can't go wrong no matter what you buy, just spend what you can afford. I'd say go for a memory card that goes with other gadgets (eg. SD very common), pick a handful of features YOU WANT, and buy on that basis. I wanted the Optio S4i but decided its just too small and am now almost certain to buy the Nikon 3700. I played with it in a shop and loved it. You could also look at the Kodaks for the money - some people rubbish them but they have loads of features and been around for years - how can you go wrong.

Happy hunting

daniel guzej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 4:52 PM   #3

well if u want more manual controls or more megapixels then coolpix 4300 is right choice but if u can wait for one more month then coolpix 4200 is available which has option to focus and shoot well in night or low light conditions due to auto focus alluminator(pardon me for spelling).but if u want automatic, just point and shoot camera with less megapixels then i advise u to buy coolpix 3700 camera as it is the best of all the DC that has good small LCD,auto focus feature for dim light, good true movie mode 30 FPS,voice recording and very good pic quality compared to coolpix 3100 and 3200.
fsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote