Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 7, 2004, 2:12 PM   #1

I have a friend who is looking in getting either the 5700 or 8700. The 8700 has the larger screen, better resolution, 12 scenes and a AF light on it. He likes those benifits. However he stated 90% of the time, he will keep the pictures at a 4 x 6 sizeor just on a CD. He is also concerned about the higher noise on the 8700 compared to the 5700. Has anyone found the noise to be much higher on the 8700? I have found my camera usually goes up to 200 and any noise found was to be acceptable.

The reason why he choose between these two is that helikes theresults from my 5700 and its zoom. He alsowants a camera withaperture and shutter speed modes, he does not want just a point and shoot camera.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2004, 9:03 PM   #2

I own one of each of these Nikons and the 8700 is a MUCH improved version. The menus are much easier to navigate, the AF assist lamp is a big help (the 5700 has very poor low light focusing ability) and the images are even better that those from the 5700.
Also the 8700 has an extra mode (as do the better Fujifilm digicams) of saving the last 5 is a series of shots- very useful when photographing animals etc.
Bottom line- a great pair of cameras but the 8700 is the greatest and well worth the extra cost
PS In Australia, where I live, the 5700 costs about $1300 and the 8700 about $1800
jimatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote