Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:38 AM   #1

I need to buy a camera before going away on summer vacation. At first I thought of the Sony DSC-W1, but it mightnot beavailable in Norwaybefore I go away.

As an option I'mconsidering the Nikon Coolpix 5200. The camera seems nice on paper, small size, 5 mpix etc.

But after seeingsample shots on Steves-Digicams and other sites I'm not sure how good this camera is. Compared with the Sony, the pictures look unfocused and have a lot of noise.

Does anyone have experience with the Nikon 5200? Links to sample pictures would be great!

Thanks for any help,
angel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:18 PM   #2

hy I just compared sony dsc w1 with nikon's 5200... I definitely prefer the latter... sharper photos, better AF, lighter and smaller...

especially in low light conditions, flash is stronger and images are sincerely better. i will return my w1 and keep nikon... i will put samples online as soon as i can.
baroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:39 PM   #3

I have had a similar experience with the W1 and 5200. Although I only took a couple of shots with the W1 as it was not mine. However, I took the shots in my yard at the same time as the 5200 shots. The 5200 is sharper (and noisier) when it's noise recuction is off. I also love the best shot selector mode and use that often. Both cameras take good images though, and I doubt if anyone could see the difference in most applications. The Nikon is smaller and has BSS, the Sony uses AA batteries and you have a little more control over the settings. The Sony also have more lattitude in exposure due to more available f-stops. I used to havea Canon S45. I loved most things about the camera, but I can't tell you how many pictures were ruined because the camera didn't focus properly or I wasn't holding it still enough. I really LOVE the Best Shot Selection mode on the Nikon!!!

jeffpe is offline   Reply With Quote