Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 17, 2004, 2:53 PM   #1

This has probably been asked a lot of rimes but I got a coolpix 5200 today to replace the Canon IXUS 400 I used previously.

I spent a while considering which camera to get, either the 5200, the Sony W1 or the IXUS 500. I opted for the Nikon, after taking some random shots today mainly using the auto setting.

When viewed on my monitor the colours seem not as vibrant as the canon. I'm no photo expert but as this what people were referring to as images being 'soft'?

Another thing, I think this is just me being picky, when the images ( at 5MP and fine settings) are viewed on my monitor (17" TFT) using win XP,when maximised tofull size the images seem ever so slightly (I mean very slightly) 'mottled' more noticeable on lighter colours. I never really viewed the IXUS 400 pictues at full size so can't compare but is this normal?

If anyone could give me, arelative newb to camera's with this many options, the ideal settings when using the AUTO setting (such as:

do you use NR all the time?

set sharpening to high for all pics?

Exposure settings, etc.

Is there a way to take B&W and Sepia shots or does that have to be done with software?

Whats the biggest print size for 5MP & Fine without decreasing the picute quality?

Any help/advice would be massivley appreciated.

scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links