Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:40 AM   #1

I'm looking for a small inexpensive camera. After reading many review, I narrowed it down to the Coolpix 2100 and the Canon A60. Then I found out about the 2200. I would like to hear opinions about the pros and cons of these three.

Thanks, Alan
alanmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:57 AM   #2

I can comment on the Nikon Coolpix 2200, which I bought a few months back at about $150. The features that attracted me were the combination of relatively low price, 2 MP resolution (I had been using a 1 MP camera for some time and it did pretty well for 4x6" prints), and the ability to shoot video at 640x480 and 15 frames per second.

That last feature sounds low tech but for multimedia, CD-type work its reasonable.

So far I am quite happy with the 2200. Clearly its at the low end of the curve these days, but I think you get a good value. A few comments:

- I added a 128 MB SD card, cost about $30. This allows a LOT of stills, and it turns out that is the largest card the 2200 will use for video (I can get a little over three minutes).

- The focus for video will not adjust continuously, it remains at the initial setting (when video recording starts).

- The 2200 does not record sound.

All of thes items are upgraded with the Coolpix 3200, about $70 more I recall. It has 3+ MP, can use larger SD cards for video, allows continuous focus while recording video, and records sound.

And BTW, another plus is that both cameras use standard AA batteries, in my case rechargeable Ni-Mh (I think?) which are giving better than expected life.

For my purposes, the 2200 is fine, I'm glad I bought it.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote