Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:20 AM   #1

Have been looking for a prosumer camera to upgrade from Canon S30. Have been pretty much set on the Canon G5 but now considering the Nikon 5700.

Want decent low light focus.

Good macro...obvious that Nikon is superior in this department.

Overall good camera that I can grow and learn with.

AMiRUNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:09 PM   #2

what the whining? seems to me you already know what you want...so do the homework and move on pal...:roll:
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 3:51 AM   #3

Your wrote: "Want decent low light focus".

Well, the CP5700 is NOT the answer for you. This is the only bad thing I could say as a former owner of the CP5700. It NOT good in low light - just a fact.

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:09 AM   #4

Look at the Nikon 8700, It is good in low light and also has a focus beam.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:26 PM   #5

Just sold my KODAK 6490 - poor macro - not close enough for my hobby - close-ups of fountain pen nibs - I'm a collector of old fountain pens. I looked at the DiMage A2 - crappy macro, and the Canon PowerShot, but having owned a Nikon 4040, and a Coolpix 995, the 8700 was my choice. It should arrive on the 26th of July. The 5700 will work, but go for the latest. 8MB allows for plenty of cropping, and all things improved that were not up to snuff on the 5700. Also, something often overlooked is the interface/photo manipulation software. The Arcsoft software that came with my Coolpix 995 was actually quite good. I have some Photosop softwate - Elements 2.0, but the Nikon software works quite well. Nikon is still using Arcsoft on the 8700, so the bugs have been worked out, and it should make life a bit easier for you. Just to complicate your life a bit, Olympus also does a pretty good job in the macro departmaent with the 765 and 770, and if you can wait another few weeks, check out the KonicaMinolta DiMage Z3 - they added image stabilization, and macro down to an inch or so - maybe even closer than the 8700. It is due out in early August - probably $599 or less.
toureasy is offline   Reply With Quote