Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:48 PM   #1

I just received my Nikon 5700 today. It came one day early and was very satisfied with my purchase from onecall.com. I have a couple quick questions. I was wandering what quality most people shoot their pictures at. I hear RAW was the way to go. If RAW is the way to go what software do you use to convert and edit the photos. Last question, I want to learn how to take some sort of manual photos, but I dont know what settings to use when and where. Can some one give me the basics of what all the settings mean. Thanks so much.
cliffrouse11baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2004, 3:14 AM   #2

I have also gone nikon 5700 and reading up on virtue of Raw.With the camera i received a disc Nikon Capture which allows manipulation of raw file and disc expires in 30 days and for £120 it can be replaced.I can return camera still and may do so.

james morgan
james morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:32 AM   #3

Well, luckily there's a file format for every use.

In short you can say, that if you want to perfectionize your photos, you will need the RAW format. The overall advantage is the ability to change lots of camera settings back home at your PC. Not issues like focus, aperture and shutterspeed. You can however change white balance, sharpness, tones and much more. Raw can be converted to 16-bit Tiff files with almost lossless editing.The time it takes for the camera to generate the RAW files is yet pretty slow compared to JPGs. You need a converter - Nikon Capture 4.12 works better than PS CS - output files are muchbetter IMO. But there'sdifferent opinions on this.So fast shooting - no raw! I shoot RAW in 98% of the time.

JPG is better if you don't want to work with your photos. Jpg is out-of -the camera - images. Take them, use them. It's that simple. You can't change settings lossless like the ones mentioned above. Jpg is the most used file format for camera.

Regarding the manual setting... learn all the basics of your digicam before going manual. Use i.e. the A-program on your CP5700 - it's great.

Feel free to visit my website for more help on this andA LOT more: www.hertz-ladiges.com.

Best regards

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote