Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:32 PM   #1

Hi! I just got myself a Coolpix 8700 recently and its my first digital camera since I migrated into digital photography.

I have a question in regards to the usage of the digital zoom in digital cameras (or in particular, in the Coolpix 8700).

I note that the 8700 is capable of taking pics. at 8mp. and at a "Fine" picture quality.

Now, assuming that I doset my shot to 8mp & at "Fine" setting, and extend the zoom into the digital range, does this mean that thepicture produced at the end will be at a lesser resolution(say 5mp or maybe 4mp) but still at "Fine" quality-wise?

Or is the shot still at 8mp but at a lesser quality?

Or am I just going at it totally in the wrong direction? :?

I figured using the digital zoom would not be such a bad thing ifI can still get out a 4-5mp shot at full 8mp setting with digital zoom.

This would certainlybe better than usinga 10x ultra zoom cameras but with a limit of 3.2 - 4mp, wouldn't it?

My second question is, would it be better to use the digital zoom to get a close shotof the subject or to zoom it optically to the max for the shot and then magnify it on the LCD and crop it into a new pix?

Your input is much appreciated!

kelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:03 PM   #2

That is explained in your manual under the topic of Optical and Digital Zoom.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote