Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:02 PM   #1
Default Best settings for shooting at night - 5700

I'm going to be taking a bunch of pictures tomorow night with my CP5700 at a fair.
It will be fairly dark, but lots of lights around.
What would be the best settings?
If I shoot farther than maximum flash range, should I turn off the flash?
I didn't turn it off on some other night shots recently and used a photo editor to brighten the up with horrible results, tons of noise and what looks to entire solar systems floating around in the dark areas.
Also is there a quick way to tunoff the flash? I had to fumble through the menus last time, took a long time and I already forgot how.

I attached a photo taken a few years ago with a fairly crummy mavica, it has been resized smaller but the lighting should be similar.

Thanks in Advance!
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:57 PM   #2

The flash button is on your left handside of the camera. err, Does this help? I too fumble when it comes to night shots. Still working it out and changing the speed of the shutter. My shots come out weird in the sense you only see the lights and not the building. Argh! Guess more learning is needed.
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 9:57 AM   #3
Default Several options...

You can boost the ISO setting to 400 or 800 to get more sensitivity in the low light but the price you are going to pay is noise. Luckily noise can be removed using Photoshop or the Gimp.

It would be of no use to put the camera on a tripod if your subjects are singers or the crowd, they would be moving.

Here are some night photos I took at MardiGras earlier this year. The two on the ends were using the "night mode" flash that combines flash with a longer shutter speed. Its an interesting effect. The one in the middle is normal flash because everything was in range or bright enough. (NO iso boost on the above pix)

Practice beforehand if possible. If not take lots of CF and an extra battery so you can review and tweak settings on the fly.

You'll be turning out good night shots in no time. :-)
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote