Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 27, 2002, 11:38 AM   #1
Default 5700 Auto focus as slow as 990's?

Hi there,

I've been following these boards for a few days now, trying to decide between the 5700 and the Minolta Dimage 7HI. Lots of things to consider. Lots of incredible info on these boards. Thank you all for being so cool.

I currently own a Coolpix 990, and use it in a variety of conditions. One of my main beefs is the slow auto-focus, and the downright inability to focus in low-light/ low-contrast situations.

Does anybody have experience with both the 990 and the 5700, who could give me a comparitive analysis of just this feature?

How does the 5700's auto-focus compare to the 990's in terms of speed and accuracy in low-light and/or low-contrast situations?

Thanks again,

msommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2002, 1:26 PM   #2

being a former owner of a 990, which is a fine camera, just about any newer digicam is considerably speedier in the AF dept than that is. it's the nature of progress.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:32 AM   #3

I don't know the answer to your question but recently went through the same decision process in selecting an upgrade to my 990. I chose the Minolta 7i mostly for the ease of manual focus using the ring at the back of the lens. The 5700 doesn't even allow manual focus in macro (where I do a lot of my work). I found the manual focus on the 990 too hard to use to be worth having. Low light/low contrast will be a problem for any camera except the Sony 707 which has that IR booster system. My decision was that there are times when the best autofocus is no autofocus and I wanted a camera that made that easy. Your type shooting may make the opposite answer better for you. That's why they make so many different models.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote