Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 8, 2002, 2:42 PM   #1
Default CP4500 Focus Problem

I am using my CP4500 with my telescope for asto imaging.

I (and a few others) are having a focusing issue. There seems to be no problem in reaching a great looking focus on the monitor ( I am using an external Sony 9" monitor). The focus still looks good when the release is pressed half-way down and supposedly locks. However, when the release is pressed all the way down, the camera tries to refocus itself slightly, and thereby records an out-of-focus image. I have tried various modes (A,P,S) and manual focus at infinity with the same result. This happens with manual release, timer release and remote cord release as well.

Supposedly, when manual focus at infinity (full digital zoom with the manual focus bar all the way to the right), the autofocus function is disabled. However, this does not seem to be the case.

Is there any setting which will work for this?

Thanks Jim
W4LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2002, 9:46 AM   #2

Have you tried it without using the Sony Monitor ?
rmeacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 2:02 AM   #3

I've not tried Astro yet with my 4500 but I take a lot of wildlife photos through my Leica scope. I set the camera to Macro focus mode, prefocus the scope through the eyepiece and then attach and shoot.

If Macro mode isn't working for you then could I suggest a test. Try focusing on a distant object in daylight (if you havn't already done so) and then compare focus results). If it works in daylight then the problem would seem to be related to the amount of light that the camera has to work with.

Hope this helps.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote