Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:47 AM   #1

If you do, I would love to hear what you think about the camera.

I am thinking of picking one up as its reviews looks really good and all my CF could be used in it.

Thanks in advance!:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:07 PM   #2

Yes. They are available in Canada. Here are a few wide-zoom comparisons, a macro shot and some "art" shots I have posted at pbase.

Oh yes...and in case you can't guess from the quality of the images, I am thrilled with the results. Recently, I re-kindled and old interest in photography with a Toshiba PDR700 10x Canon zoom lens and a Pentax 33WR for wet and dusty conditions.

John in Toronto
John_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 3:18 AM   #3

John, well... thanks for these images!

I have to say, anyone interested in this camera should really check out the image "Hockey Hall of Fame"- Original size.It is IMO probably one ofTHE best type of shot for determiningoverall picture quality that I have seen.This cameradoes show some really good dynamic range (I really liked looking through all of the windows in the upper right),butshowssome noise in shadows,little artefacting and PF as well as blown out highlights (foreground) but I would hazard that this could be better controlled.

I wonder John, if you wouldn't mind telling me what some of the quality settings were for this pic (sharpness etc.)? What mode?. This picture is very unfortunately- blurry or soft, so I am wondering if this was handheld or tripod? Was image stabilization on/off?

Please anyone, dont get the wrong idea- I think it isa good picture in a smaller size but really it is usefull as a quality test for this camera (a camera that I amalready very sold on)...BTW I like that one guy in the center who issmiling for the pic (and the guy in car looking at you).

Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:41 PM   #4

Hi. Missed your msg. Here's the exif. It's available at pbase galleries. The galleries are uploads and that always degrades, but it looks pretty sharp to me at original at pbase. Hand-held.

Focal Length 13.8 mm
Exposure Time 1/81 sec
Aperture f/4.9
ISO Equivalent 50
Exposure Bias +1/2
White Balance (-1)
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program program (2)

Best wishes John_I
Old Oct 29, 2004, 4:10 PM   #5

Wow....good example of what that camera can do. Now for the money question....which store did you purchase it at? How much did you pay? I am in Calgary, have not seen one yet, and would really like to know the cost, and check it out. I am seriously considering a Canon 20D. I like the lense stabilizer in the Nikon however, as well as the zoom. Are you happy with the motorized zoom on it?? Ok with the battery? Would be grateful for the answers. Thanks and best regards....

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:56 PM   #6

I bought a 8800 in Toronto October 7th at Camera Place & Electronics for $1199.99. I've put 3 snaps up at: http://www.pbase.com/suzupis

I used to have an Olympus C-700,but I wanted more megapixels and the VR feature. So far it is taking quitea bit of getting used-to. There are a lot of features to play with. I was used to using auto for most of my pictures, but now I'm interested in having more control.

I've blown up portions of my shots and been quite pleased with the clarity. I took one shot so far NEF, but none at RAW.

suzupis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7

Hi Kenneth
I know both Henrys and Vistek have had them in Toronto. I got mine at Vistek, a colleague at Henrys. Not sure if they are now in stock. I paid retail CAD$1249 as it was just released that day and I was heading off on a trip. I would have preferred a barrel ring zoom, but this one works extremely well and it's fast. Good luck in your selection. Hands-on is pretty important. I find the 8800 to be a "natural" to hold and to use.
John_I in Toronto