Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:12 PM   #11

Hello. Here is a link to an updated series of test images. Needless to say I am really pleased with the results. I am interested in what readers might think of the night shots in terms of noise. I have tried to cover a variety of situations and comparisons. Observations and suggestions are always welcome as I am just returning to photography after an absence of many years. This 8800 is a great "motivator" as it allows so much flexibility and technical excellence so I can focus on composition and originality. Best wishes. John_I in Toronto
John_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:40 PM   #12

the night sky is a bit noisy, no? For ISO 50?
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:20 PM   #13

Here is my first try at a bird pic with the CP 8800.
Attached Images
louflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:26 PM   #14

seeing a lot of excellent pics here not just with the 8800 but other coolpix cams - I was under teh impression that night/low light level shots would be next to impossible but doesn't seem that way...
Nadeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:40 PM   #15

I'm probably guilty of posting some of the soft focus jobs. But familiarity with the camera has shown me some things to be careful of. The first tendency is to want to use the zoom, hand held, at 10X. It does work remarkably well, and the vibration reduction system does allow very slow shutter speeds. I took some more pictures of eagles in high trees today and closely inspected my results. I think I should have opted for spot focusing, rather then "zone" as I was shooting in limited light, with a fairly large aperture, at a subject surrounded by branches at different distances.

My conclusion is obvious:while the vibration control allows shots hand held, it is still better to use a tripod at 10X and lower light.

My first attempts with the camera were certainly vibrant and sharp before fiddling to post them. I think you'll be impressed when you get yours. It has so many features in such a small package. But sharpness is still number 1 and I expect you'll see better posted photographs as more people and better photographers get the camera.

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote