Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:34 AM   #11

Hello suhern and all. Just to add my belated 2 cents to the discussion. I was looking to buy the FZ20 given a friend's success with the FZ10. We shot some common scenes with my Toshiba PDR700 10x Canon zoom. His results were much better.

Feeling that I had learning what I could with the Toshiba and having a good "home" for it, I wanted to get a "hands-on" with the FZ20. When I went into a local camera shop both in early Octber, both had just come in: the FZ20 and the 8800 that had initial reports published.

In side-by-side hands-on comparison, I preferred 8800 and have not regretted the choice. It has exceeded my expectations by far! It does take some learning to fully utilize the capabilities, as I am just starting back into digital myself after many, many years away from experience with film SLRs.

A reading of all reviews, a "hands-on" comaprison and reading forums like this will help members to make their own independent and often different decisions. Best wishes for a Happy New Year and may the year bring many photo ops and pride in your choices!

John_I in Toronto

John_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:49 AM   #12

traderfjp wrote:
If Olympus has an ultra zoom I would go for that and I'm sure they will come out with one. The question is how long do I want to wait. There are other isues with both products but I only touched on the ones that will factor in to my deciscion.

Olympus has been making UltraZoom cameras for years. The latest ones are the C-765UZ and C-770UZ, both reviewed here:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:05 PM   #13

I was talking about an 8 mp ultra zoom from Olympus. Anyway, I ordered the 8800 today for 732 with shipping. Can't wait to get it and start shooting. The only reason I went for such a large camera was for the zoom. I use to have a Nikon FE with all the goodies but it's a hassle to carry around a gadget bag. I'll let everyone know how I like the 8800 when I get it.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote