Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:12 PM   #1

Any ideas on the best glue to replace the rubber grip on the 5700?....do I have to remove the previous glue residue? thanks...Lane
lndpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:07 AM   #2

I am going to say that a visit to the hardware store would benefit you. There are a lot of different glues made. Your handy dandy hardware guy will likely give you as good an answer as anyone. Best regards,

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:43 PM   #3

Don't use any lacquer type thinners to remove any old glue. I've found they also eat any plastic they meet ! I have used Varsol reliably as it doesn't do any damage to plastic or paint. If the glue is hard, heating it gently with a hairdryer and rubbing it with your thumb usually produces a dirty looking roll that you can pluck off. If the original glue is only a thin patina, leave it on. I like using a hot glue gun..as long as you are cautious and don't put so much on it squeezes out the sides.

Of course my favourite glue is duct tape. On my shoes, car, clothes, dog collars and...whoa...even on The Wife !!!

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:49 PM   #4

I might suggest SuperGlue with your grip and camgently clamped in a portable clamp.

Wait 48 hours to unclamp and use.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:50 PM   #5

I'd be careful about what glue you use. Because somebody mentioned superglue. The chemicals in the superglue could eat the rubber material away. That wouldn't be nice.

The local camera shop people that do repairs etc will know what kind of glue to use. I got them to stick the grip on my nikon 950 before, and it's a yellowish adhesive glue that doesn't destroy the rubber material of the grip (and it's kind of elastic in nature), and if it ever loses its strength, then it's removable with a bit of work...but at least doesn't harm your camera or the grip.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote