Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:32 PM   #11

Well, MY hot pixel issue on camera number 1 is PERMANENTLY solved !!! TRUE STORY HERE!

Amazon is shipping another replacement due tomorrow (Fri).

I got home from work and my house was broken into ! ! ! ! !

Among the items missing are the Nikon 8800! and my Olympus 730uz. I will miss the 730!

So, I'll let you know how #3 is doing. And watch out :-) there's at least one hot 8800 (NOT PIXELS EITHER) in CT ! ! !

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:43 PM   #12

Well, third 8800 camera just arrived - great news! And it's already version 1.4.

No hot/dead pixels on either the LCD or the EVF.

At ISO 100:

-zero hot pixels (lum>60) at exposures from 2 sec to 1/1500 sec (as above NR, sharpening,... OFF).

-From 1/30 to 1/1500 sec, zero hotat lum>15. At 2 sec, there are 4 at lum=45 (none from 15-44).

So, I'm going to stay with this one! AND KEEP IT LOCKED UP!

Thanks to all for your advice, info and input!

Happy Picture Taking!

Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:51 PM   #13

Congrats.... It sounds like you got a good one!

I'm sorry to hear about the break in. Hopefully, they'll actually catch the thieves.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:04 AM   #14

For those that are wondering what a hot pixel looks like, here's the results of the test that I did on my Fuji S602 using TIFF (6 Meg interpolated) with a shutter speed of 1 sec. The attached image is blown up 400% and the hot pixels circled to show their position.

13 hot pixels of varying luminance from 72 to 195 predominately at 1600 on the X scale.

Am I worried - in a word no. Under normal conditions, I'll never see it.

I didn't even know about purple fringing until I started reading these forums and guess what, my Fuji suffers just like many others.

JimC summed it up nicely.

In my humble opinion, it's so easy to become obsessed (too strong a word) about the technology rather than concentrating on a good picture.

On 2 occasions, my Fuji suffered from dust of some description on the CCD resulting in a smudge mark which was only detectable in clear blue skies; that was clearly unacceptable and the camera was replaced under warranty & then repaired.
Attached Images
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:08 AM   #15

I downloaded the software and did all the tests and I can say that my 8800 is hot pixel free. Although I belive I have one small dead pixel on the LCD. It looks like a small speck of dirt.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:36 PM   #16

Hi Bob,

Congratulation for getting the camera you really wanted this time .... free of hot pixels at last!!! I am just curious as to what the 1.4 version in reference to? Is this the camera's version number or more of the software built-in inside the 8800? I would appreciate your answer as I am about to join the bandwagon for Nikon Coolpix 8800 new owners.

Nubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:33 PM   #17

My first two 8800s had firmware (software inside of the camera) version 1.3. Nikon recently posted on their websitethe updated firmware version 1.4. Owners of version 1.3 can update their cameras by downloading 1.4 from Nikon site. I was happy to be able to avoid having to do the upgrade myself - although it was easy and doesn't take much time.

Good luck on your purchase. If you focus [pun intended!] on the positives of the camera, you will find you have MUCH capability at your fingertips. I recently took a picture of my neighbor's horses (I guess about 400 feet away) handheld at FULL zoom - 10x optical+full digital. With VR ON, the picture is sharp.