Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:04 PM   #1

I bought a coolpix 8800 recently and noticed that the quality of the LCD screen isn't that great when trying to shoot a picture. It's grainy or something like that. In playback mode or quickview mode, the pictures look fine; however it's extremely hard to tell whether the subject is in focus prior to pressing the shutter button. I was wondering if this is the case with all nikon cameras or is mine just flawed? I owned an FZ20 prior to this and the LCD was much much better. Thanks!
vitiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:38 PM   #2

Hi. I agree that it isn't so easy to judge things using the LCD. But I also find using it in bright sunlight difficult. As the viewfinder is so bright and easy to see, I'm using that 99% of the time. The LCD is handy for framing close ups etc and when holding the camera overhead etc, but is a tad small for me as well. I wouldn't want the camera without it, but don't consider it as the #1 method for shooting. It does make menu selections easier if you aren't in bright light.

I hope you enjoy the camera. I find that whatever the viewfinder or LCD show, the final photo on my computer looks fantastic.

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:23 AM   #3

Hi Vitiris,

I own a cp4500 at the moment (looking to buy the cp8800, just wating for the right price:-) and the LCD is also very grainy and often you just don't know if it is in focus until it is on the laptop. My solution to that has always been to take several shot of the same thing, just to make sure I got one in focus.

When I tried the cp8800 the other day I found just like Steve that I used the viewfinder more. Somehow being used to the twisty 4500, I found the LCD more confusing then anything else.

Greetings from

frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote