Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:16 AM   #1

I am using 8800 for almost 1 month. Im really, really happy with this camera.

But I want to ask one thing (Im from Poland - my english is not perfect, but I'll try to explain) :

Few days ago I was taking a pictures in very "light" sitations (snow, sun, mountains) and I noticed strong red shadow/light on LCD (the same is in viewfinder). It is only when Im focussing (on pictures it is not noticeable)

This effect is almost not noticeable in P mode (and automatic) but very noticeable in A mode, aperture 2,8, widest angle. I noticed that this is stronger on higher ISOs.

IS IT NORMAL??? Maybe this is just normal cameras reaction for big amounts of light. On pictures this is not noticeable.

Additionally - I think that this shadow/light is a little bit more intensive on the right side of LCD/TFT....
Please help ))
Piompo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:14 PM   #2

Hello Piompo, Welcome.

Sounds like your Focus assist light to me, i wouldn't worry about it, maybe the light area you talk about is fooling the system and causing it to under expose causing the light to come on.

skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 3:31 PM   #3

If you haven't upgraded to firmware v1.4, try that . It addresses a magenta problem, but not exactly as you describe. Worth a try. Let us know if it works. Good luck!
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:01 AM   #4

Hello Piompo

I've read elsewhere of two other instances of a 'pink tinge' appearing on one side of the finder.

In one case the camera was sent to Nikon Service who returned it three weeks later with the discolouration still present. Their Service Report stated that the pink tinge was 'within factory parameters'. The owner wasn't convinced and requested a replacement 8800.

The finder on my 8800 is completely clear in all conditions and apart from the instances mentioned I haven't heard of this anomaly elsewhere.

brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:33 PM   #5

I don't own a CP8800 but on all other digital cameras that I've owned - currently Fuji S602 - if low light directly enters the lens it creates purple flares; the CP8700 was particularly bad as far as I can recall.

My Fuji 6900 was so bad, that even on the exposed shot the purple cast occupied 90% of the image; it's still there on my S602 but a darkish green & not so noticeable.

Sounds like something similar. See if you can check out another CP8800 under similar conditions - pointing at a wall light can produce similar effects.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote