Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:17 PM   #1

. . . Maybe I'm the only one, but I found it annoying that the on-off ring of the 8800 (and other Nikons, I hear) gave very little hint of whether it was ON or OFF, unless you took a close look.
. . . So I took a fine-point white paint marker (Uchida 130) and filled up the little rectangle with a teensy puddle of white paint. Now it sparkles, and I know for sure.
. . . My hunch is that the 8800 in sleep mode uses more juice than the 8800 turned off. But then, I also used to wonder if the fridge light was still on in there.
. . . My thanks to the back-table engineer at Nikon who probably gave the indicator mark its concavity. He perhaps wanted the white mark put on in the factory, and a dumb bean-counter could have vetoed the idea because it would make cameras cost 13ยข more to make.
yankeedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:20 AM   #2

It's a clever trick, you're right about the sleep mode taking more juice, BUT on the other hand the camera switches on a lot quicker than when it has to turn on completely and bring out the lens and so on.

If you can afford to, it pays to use a little more power for a faster reaction time when you are out and about on a photo expedition for example.
JakobG is offline   Reply With Quote