Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 30, 2002, 7:53 PM   #1
Default 4500 overexposure & detail loss in bright light

Overall, I'm very pleased with my 4500 that has taken almost 2,000 pics since I bought in September.

However, there are problems with overexposure or "burnout" of bright areas, i.e. total loss of detail. If the sunlight is bright, as it is most of the time here in Arizona, often the detail of items adjacent to bright areas is lost as well. Shooting through tree branches surrounds leaves and branches with a "blue" outline (The actual color of the sky), but then the rest (again) is just burned-out white. Shooting forest scenes results in rocks and details exposed to direct sun being overexposed, regardless of the camera setting. I have checked some of the 4500 sample pics (even on this netsite in the actual 4500 review) and have noticed the same phenomena, i.e. bright areas that have detail or are reflective showing up as bright white spots with total loss of detail. Is anybody else having this problem? This problem has caused me to be very careful when composing shots to avoid these "bright spots" However, I would hope that this problem with my 4500 is correctable.
johnfalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2002, 10:24 PM   #2

I just got my CP4500 today. Will try to figure out whether I face the similar issue.
Some review websites do mention "clipping" of highlight area in the picture for Coolpix series, maybe this is what you see??

Perhaps you can try UV or PL filter to reduce the reflection? I dont know, just a suggestion. ..I'm trying to get a PL filter for myself too.
tcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 4:40 AM   #3

Most Nikon digicams have this problem. Nikon burn out highlight!
I guess its the price to pay for de nice contrast photos it makes.

However you first should - if you got the time ofcourse - take a shot, go to the histogramfunction - see the burnout highlight and then compensate a few stops e.x -1 or -2. This often make a difference.
But it's my own experience that it often can be very difficult to shoot and get no burnedout highlight at all. One has to be very carefull composing as you stated!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 5:09 AM   #4
Default my answere to burnout of highlights

I use a circular polarizing filter on my camera to keep from having burnout areas and it seems to work quite nicely. I dont know if you camera takes filters or not or has adapters to allow it to do so.

Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote