Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:14 PM   #1

I recently bought a Coolpix 5200. I had it narrowed down between the 5200 and Canon A95 but the size of the 5200 pulled me in that direction. Now that I have the camer I am having trouble. The pictures are just not what they should be. I mean my Olympus 3.2 takes better pictures. I have been playing with the settings and just cant get any good pics. All the pics I have takne are very grainy and if its of a person you can see lines through their skin. I would have thought with a 5.0 mp camera these pics would be crystal clear. I have the picture quality set to Fine and the size is 3M.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What else can I try? Shouldnt it take awsome pics right out of the box? Did I get a bad camera out of the box?

Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 8:14 AM   #2

I have the same problem, could any body help us ???
ben_monash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:06 PM   #3

You are describing noise (similar to film grain).

It's a matter of physics. The sensors are smaller in a compact digital camera model, which also lets you use much shorter focal length lenses for any given 35mm equivalent focal length.

But, because of the smaller sensors, the photosites for each pixel are very small. As a result, it takes more light to generate a strong enough signal, and more amplification of the signal is required for equivalent ISO speed sensitivity. This adds noise.

The more pixels you pack into the same size sensor, the smaller the photosites will be. That's one reason this issue is sometimes noticed more on higher megapixel models (versus older models with fewer megapixels in the same size sensor).

To reduce noise, only use higher ISO speeds if you need faster shutter speeds or increased flash range.

Chances are, the camera's Auto ISO is bumping ISO speedup to around 200 in lower light (for example, indoors). You can set ISO Speed manually to keep it from doing this (versus using Auto ISO).

Use a tripod and keep ISO speed set low for non-stationary subjects in low light.

If you must use higher ISO speeds, try to make sure your subjects are exposed properly (noise is worse in underexposed areas). So, if using a flash, make sure your subjects within the rated flash range (which will decrease as more zoom is used).

Here are some popular products to help reduce the appearance of noise when increasing ISO speeds is necessary:

Noiseware (note that they have a free community edition, too).

Neat Image

Noise Ninja

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote