Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:57 PM   #1
Default Macro & Nikon 5700

Hi guys, I had my camera Nikon Coolpix 5700 for 4 months now and I am really interested into getting some good macro shots. This camera is supposed to be able to shoot 3cm infront of its lenz but the thing is...I dont get really sharp images with great detail like the hair on the insect legs etc....
Call me stupid or do I need another camera for these types of shots or is there an add on lenz I can stick on my camera to do macro shots?
So someone help me? :lol:
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2002, 8:55 AM   #2

I have been able to get great macro shots. However it took me a while as I was not aware that in the macro mode the zoom has a sweet spot for the correct focus. After reading the manual several time I found out the macro flower logo in the view finder turns yellow when your in the sweet spot. When I did this with spot metering all was well.

mysecretworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:29 AM   #3

When shooting macro with 5700, first you have to set it into macro mode, zoom the lenses till the flower symbol turn to yellow. That's the sweet spot for macro. You could keep zoomin, as long as the color of flower symbol is yellow. Now you can focus lock to the object you want to shoot. Remember, in macro mode, auto focus is very slow, so if you want to shoot something, such as bug, you might miss the shot. What I did, instead of using auto focus, I switch to manual mode, set the distance to minimum (or somethin else), and what I have to do is move back or closer to the object, till the object looks clear on the evf/lcd.

Another thing to remember in macro shot, the depth-of-field is very shallow, that's why you have to set the f/number to higher number, or maximum at f/8.

At f/8, shutter speed may drop, that could cause blurring from camera shake. Flash can help here, but shootin at very close distance with flash will usually overexpose your picture. Either you cover the flash with tissue paper, or reduce the flash output by -1 or more. It all depends on the object and the available light, so experiment before shooting.

PS: for example, you can check my small creature gallery at www.pbase.com/gared, check the "ground beetle" and "green caterpilar" photos, you can see the detail of the hair.
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:07 PM   #4

turn off autofocus, set it to aperture priority, select the widest aperture allowed that will cover (i.e. - for an insect on a flower in a light breeze) about 6" in front of it and 6" behind it (this will also auto select the fastest shutter speed possible for that aperture). everything within the 6" radius will be in focus. this is called depth of field shooting. you can't possibly miss with this....unless you have a really shaky hand. also, best to shoot macro with a tripod.

hope this helps...